Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Totally Top Ten Tuesday! (Numero Tres)

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the wondrous individuals at The Broke and the Bookish and participated in by so many wondrous book bloggers. So with no further ado, I henceforth give you...

Top Ten Books That Are On The Top Of
My TBR List For Fall

1. Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez (Released on October 18, 2011)

Liz at Consumed by Books, a person who I once twitter-stalked because of her ever-frequent and interesting tweets, has uttered that this novel is beautifully rendered with excellent writing. But who could not love the story as well?

"Now is not the time for Carmen to fall in love. And Jeremy is hands-down the wrong guy for her to fall for. He is infuriating, arrogant, and the only person who can stand in the way of Carmen getting the one thing she wants most: to win the prestigious Guarneri competition. Carmen's whole life is violin, and until she met Jeremy, her whole focus was winning. But what if Jeremy isn't just hot...what if Jeremy is better ? Carmen knows that kissing Jeremy can't end well, but she just can't stay away. Nobody else understands her--and riles her up--like he does. Still, she can't trust him with her biggest secret: She is so desperate to win she takes anti-anxiety drugs to perform, and what started as an easy fix has become a hungry addiction. Carmen is sick of not feeling anything on stage and even more sick of always doing what she’s told, doing what's expected. Sometimes, being on top just means you have a long way to fall...." (from Shelfari)

I am a student musician, so the relatability factor seems awesome. Marvelous it is when you see a character as yourself, when you are reminded of why literature is so great.

2. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (Released November 8, 2011)

Once upon a time, one little boy in the fifth grade dreamt about the thrill he received when devouring the Harry Potter books two years before. He loved realistic fiction, but a hunger for fantasy still ravaged him. That was when he picked up Eragon, then Eldest four books later. I now have both read Brisingr and fostered an annoyance for the average book about rebellions toppling oppressive governments. Unfortunately, that is what this novel's plot seems to be composed of-

"Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.

Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances.

The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaƫsia? And if so, at what cost?

This is the much-anticipated, astonishing conclusion to the worldwide bestselling Inheritance cycle that the world has waited for."(also from Shelfari)

-but Paolini may surprise me. After all, he did take an absurdly lengthy amount of time to compose this "astonishing conclusion." (Do I seem a bit snippy about this? If so, then good.)

3. Looking for Alaska by John Green

I have heard amazing things about this book and was immensely ecstatic when I added it to my overstuffed bookshelf. It seems like a meditation on the element of risk in an excellent life, a lesson that control-freaks desperately needs to grasp.

4. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This bibliophile has obtained the notion that if he doesn't read Stockett's novel soon, he cannot called himself bibliophile anymore. Is there anything else I have to say?

5. The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

A novel that describes the intriguing lives of reporters and editors who toil for a Roman, English-language newspaper. First of all, I have a gargantuan affinity for Rome-I dream that Augustus Caesar and Virgil were my ancestors. Second of all, my novel has a great deal to do with newspapers, so this can definitely be considered research. Chapters written like short stories can definitely aid the daily plagues of an AP student as well...


6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

If my current obsession with coming-of-age tales didn't do it, Emma Watson (Hermione Granger!) starring in this novel's movie adaptation cemented my desire to experience the work.

7. So Brave, Young, and Handsome by Leif Enger

As I have written before, Leif Enger's Peace Like a River was stunning, so I am very anticipative of completing this classic, felon-is-the-good-guy western. Yes, that's right, I had to put it down once. My brain deserves a heartfelt wave of apology.

8. The Color of Water by James McBride

Like a well-balanced meal, one's reading material should have differentiation. The nonfictional yarn of a Polish mother who raised twelve of her own, black children with incomparable gusto seemed too fascinating to resist.

9. City of Thieves by David Benoff

No joke, I am apprehending this sentence directly from the novel's back flap: "Instead of being executed, Lev and Kolya are given a shot at saving their own lives by complying with an outrageous directive: secure a dozen eggs for a powerful colonel to use in his daughter’s wedding cake." Another coming-of-age tale that can righteously be featured on the Food Network-lovely!

10. The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz

Providing a fresh insight into living within the City of Lights (yet another place I find myself heavily desiring to reside in), recipes additionally lie within this nonfictional book's contents. The myriad of holiday parties organized for school organizations around December will be much more delectable if Dulce-De-Lece Brownies were served, don't you think?

And now comes the philosophy part of it all: Looking at that overcrowded bookshelf of mine, I previously found myself bewildered at where to begin my reading experience for the coming months. There is no time for confusion over a scholastically unnecessary matter within a high schooler's schedule. Yet with the composition of this list, everything seems more possible. The human mind is overflowing with different strands of thought that, often times, mix with each other to forge a smoothie of inaction. Written words, utterly physical and apparent, are often the best way to separate and individualize those strands, forming a new self of progressive action. And as I have stated before, life is only given to those who live.

10 comments:

  1. What a great list I loved both Looking for Alaska and The Help and Virtuosity is one I am wanting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great list--you mentioned a bunch of books i'm really excited about as well like looking for alaska and the help. you have some awesome fall reading ahead of you :)

    i hope you can stop by and check out my top ten list this week.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I'm a bit snippy when it comes to the wait for Inheritance as well! It's been SO LONG! And I don't have time to reread the first 3! Well, we'll see...
    I'm also looking forward to Virtuosity, it sounds really good!
    Thanks for stopping by @ the Broke and the Bookish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read The Help too. But, I probably won't get to it this year. Too many books, too little time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're probably going to be ok if you don't read The Help. I gave it an ok review overall since I liked the spotlight on women's voices and domesticity in the civil rights era, but it was deeply problematic otherwise to me. I was glad to read it to be able to join in the conversations about it, but it was definitely a book I could have lived without.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic list. I wish I could find a way to live in Paris yet not move from my hometown....Sigh. I guess the only way is through books.

    It was easy to put together my Top Ten list this week,Top Ten Books That Are at the Top of My TBR for Fall! And tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the Readerbuzz August Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Eragon when it first came out, and didn't really love it. I gave Eldest a shot, but abandoned the series after that -- I didn't really care about the characters or the world. Other authors have done and do fantasy much better.

    The Help was a good read. Despite the criticisms it's received (mainly from civil rights and womens' groups, as far as I can tell), it's a well-written story with some interesting themes and moments.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list. Thanks for stopping by my blog. What instrument do you play? Hope you're not popping any anti-anxiety meds. I started playing the fiddle (not classical violin) in January, and I can see where there would be cause for anxiety!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed Looking for Alaska when I read it a few years ago and have been wanting to read The Imperfectionists for a long time. I felt that Perks of Being A Wallflower was overhyped, but I read it so long ago that I can't remember much about it now.

    You have some great books to look forward to!
    --Rayna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking For Alaska is a fantastic book! It's so funny, and yet it has some very serious themes in there. I think you'll love it!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete

I'll return follows and comments, all of you.
Leave your twitter name and I'll follow that thing too.
But the real reason I want your comments, I'll now confide,
is so I can see you utilizing the first ammendment.With pride.