Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Totally Top Ten Tuesday! (Numero Dos)

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the wondrous individuals at The Broke and the Bookish and participated in by so many wondrous book bloggers. So with no further ado, I henceforth give you...

*Top Ten Books I Loved But Never Wrote A Review For*
1. The Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
These books are both my childhood and the reason why the blog you are currently reading exists . As a rather cute third grader, if I do say so myself, I was taken by how J.K. Rowling created such an intricate world with mere words. Despite my slight lack of confidence (that continues to this day), I was willing to give the ambition one hell of a shot. Over the years, I have matured with Harry and used his daily battles as guidance for my own span of being, something this writer deeply thanks Ms. Rowling for.


2. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
Reuben Land is an eleven-year-old with asthma who, with his family, goes on a search for his criminal brother. It is a remarkable portrait of childhood devotion and how what one thinks is true can be untouchable.


3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Must I say more? A shocking display of unknowing innocence in the blatant face of experience with a man who, to this day, remains one of my favorite characters in all of literature. Atticus, I beg you to go out to dinner with me. Please?


4. Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass
I have never seen anyone else reading this book, and that truly disturbs me. The true beauty of Mass's story is that one can comprehend its meaning from ages 10 to 110. Jeremy's father died, but the influence he had over his son did not perish in that car crash with him. And trust me, you will adore having his influence blessing the very essence of your own life as well.


5. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
By far one of the strangest and most enlightening novels ever composed. Pip is given the chance of a lifetime to become a member of the English aristocracy, and along the way meets an eternal Bridezilla plus the love of his life.


6. The Giver by Louis Lowry
A book that meditates on the existence of an nonconformist past on an utterly conformist now. Everyone on Earth should experience this tale of people who do not know what it is to live on their own accord and how they react to those who do.


7. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
What happens when unknowing ignorance has a streak of prolific wisdom? A young man named Holden Caulfied who is burned into millions of adolescent hearts each year that he is heard.


8. The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Although this is an allegory for the American condition in the late 1890s, any period of world history that has past us still possesses a great amount of similarity to now. It is inborn.


9. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
It is not a habit of mine to cry during books, but this novel had Niagara Falls practically racing down my cheek. Betty Smith gives us a semi-autobiographical novel that so painstakingly describes how children lose the belief that their parents are infallible forces of nature with morals strong and unmoving as iron.


10. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
A moving tale from the very voice of innocence. I loved this book particularly because Boyne forces the reader to supply 75% of his reading experience.


So what moral can we obtain from this listing adventure? Just like these these books not being featured on le blog because they weren't read at a certain period, humans can also miss opportunities with a lack of correct timing. However, timing is something we cannot study for, cannot foresee. We must therefore both accept that some phenomena are not within our control and selflessly appreciate those that are.  

10 comments:

  1. I had To Kill A Mockingbird on my list too. First read it for school and I've read it a few times since but not since I started my review blog! Really need to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Expectations is really one of those books that stays with you, whether you loved it or loathed it. (I'm the former.) Miss Havisham is still one of my favourite characters in all literature.

    (By the way, I love your font. What is it?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your reading habits are much like mine. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, but Great Expectations was hard for me to get into.

    New follower!

    Rie @ Mission to Read

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have the harry potter series on my list too. yes, definitely no words to describe the awesomeness of those books. great list!

    check out my top ten list this week.

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry Potter! : ) On my list too!
    BTW, I need to read some of those books! : )

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list!
    I have been meaning to read The Boy in Striped Pajamas for a long time. I've seen the movie and loved it,

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are some wonderful books you've put in your list. I've read most of them as well and just loaded Peace like a River onto my kindle. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will do something for ya and put the meaning of life on my list for next year. You made a strong case for it :-)
    jfeldt

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to see Peace Like a River on your list, too. I've got So Brave, Young, and Handsome waiting on my TBR pile, so I've got yet another great reading experience to look forward to!

    I'm going to have to check out Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, too. This is the first I'm hearing of it, and you make it sound excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had lots of those on my list too! Brilliant list, I can't believe I STILL haven't read The Giver. I'll have to remedy that soon I think.

    ReplyDelete

I'll return follows and comments, all of you.
Leave your twitter name and I'll follow that thing too.
But the real reason I want your comments, I'll now confide,
is so I can see you utilizing the first ammendment.With pride.