Sunday, November 27, 2011

In My Neglected Mailbox (Numero Tres)

Don't you just love inadequate room lighting?

**Goodreads Summary:


"Shocked by the teenage violence she witnessed during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, Erin Gruwell became a teacher at a high school rampant with hostility and racial intolerance. For many of these students–whose ranks included substance abusers, gang members, the homeless, and victims of abuse–Gruwell was the first person to treat them with dignity, to believe in their potential and help them see it themselves. Soon, their loyalty towards their teacher and burning enthusiasm to help end violence and intolerance became a force of its own. Inspired by reading The Diary of Anne Frank and meeting Zlata Filipovic (the eleven-year old girl who wrote of her life in Sarajevo during the civil war), the students began a joint diary of their inner-city upbringings. Told through anonymous entries to protect their identities and allow for complete candor, The Freedom Writers Diary is filled with astounding vignettes from 150 students who, like civil rights activist Rosa Parks and the Freedom Riders, heard society tell them where to go–and refused to listen."


Dear Viewer Who Has Oh-So-Wonderfully Watched this Cry for Help,

Just as a prologue to this post...if you don't know what "In My Neglected Mailbox" is, feel free to watch the video posted to the right titled "They Want to Be Heard".

First, of all, "In My Mailbox" is a blog meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren (www.thestorysiren.com) and Alea at Pop Culture Junkie (www.aleapopculture.blogspot.com) to let all of us book bloggers party on the web.

Second of all, the desperate book here is The Freedom Writers Diary by The Freedom Writers with Erin Gruwell (sorry about the mix-up in my video...)

Fourth of all, thank you for giving my boisterous books your precious time. Trust that there will be another one hating on me on yet another post in the coming weeks.

Best wishes,

Uomo di Speranza

PS: Should parents censor what their children read? Be sure to join my debate on this topic here. Thank you!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! A talking book!

    I like the vlog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. My husband attended a speech at the local university where Erin Gruwell was the key speaker. He really enjoyed it. Great vlog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds amazing!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I am following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard many great things about this book, might have to break down and read it eventually! I do love books written in diary style, sort of a favorite book niche of mine :D

    As always great vlog - even despite the poor lighting - just gives it more "atmosphere" ;)

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you do IMM! The Freedom Writers looks great- hope you like it! (:

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great vlog!! I love it.

    A new follower!

    Please check out my IMM too!
    http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME!

    Check out my IMM! I just started my blog so it is my very first one!
    http://somelikeitparanormall.blogspot.com/2011/11/weekly-meme-hosted-by-story-siren-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a matter of fact, I LOVE inaqudaete room lighting! (This is not sarcasm).
    It seems very symbolic. The future of books seems dark now that ereaders can come with access to Facebook and youtube and sparknotes (not to frown upon thses site, as i do use them...) and advertisefree tech support. Tech support! To read! (I know i sound like a seniorcitizen but im in high school). Yes the room is going to be dark until people like uomo di spreranza and his blog follower give it a bright future.
    I still don't have a blog for you to follow. Sorry.
    ~Kaitlin Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you post a transcript of the video so the Deaf and people with broken computer speakers can know what is going on? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'll return follows and comments, all of you.
Leave your twitter name and I'll follow that thing too.
But the real reason I want your comments, I'll now confide,
is so I can see you utilizing the first ammendment.With pride.